Students must make application and be formally admitted into the Social Work program at UNT. This typically occurs late in the student's sophomore year or early in their junior year. Applications into the program are reviewed each spring and fall semesters for admission to the following term. Please note that the UNT Social Work program may receive more qualified applicants than it can accept. Therefore, admission may be competitive and because of faculty-to-student ratio requirements associated with accreditation guidelines, the number of students who may be admitted into the program each semester varies. Application deadlines for the upcoming academic year are as follows:
March 1, 2019, 5:00PM
October 11, 2019, 5:00 PM (Tentative)
Approximately 4 weeks later
Approximately 4 weeks later
In order to be considered for admission, students must meet the following requirements:
- Have successfully completed or will complete the following Social Work prerequisite courses at UNT, or the equivalents at another university or community college (by the semester of application):
- Have an overall GPA of 2.25 or higher
- Submit all required documents for application consideration within required deadlines
Current UNT students must complete the steps in the admissions process as follows:
- Request a Degree Audit from the Advising Office located in the College of Health & Public Services (Chilton Hall, Suite # 289) by completing the appropriate form. It will take three business days to process the Degree Audit.
- Return to the Advising office to pick up the Degree Audit. Students will also receive an initial Semester by Semester Plan. This plan will indicate how many core courses, minor, or elective courses you have left to take. Students typically need less than 21 core courses left at the time of application (consideration is based on plans to successfully complete core).
- Attached to these documents, students will also receive a business card of a social work faculty who has been randomly assigned as your Social Work Professional Advisor. The student will need to contact the assigned Professional Advisor as soon as possible to set up an appointment for consultation regarding social work program requirements. Students must meet with the Professional Advisor in order for applications to be considered.
- For the scheduled appointment with the Professional Advisor, the student must bring both the Degree Audit and the initial Semester-by-Semester Plan. The Professional Advisor will develop an individualized schedule to reflect how the student may be able to proceed through the social work program (if accepted). The Professional Advisor will also consult with the student regarding program expectations, requirements, and the profession.
- The Professional Advisor will provide the student with the completed Semester-by-Semester Plan at the end of the appointment. The Semester-by-Semester Plan will indicate if it is the appropriate time for the student to proceed with the application.
(Transfer students will need to contact the Advising Office or Social Work Department for instructions)
Application to Social Program
Click this link for the application: BSW Application
Please note that an application will not be reviewed until all of the following materials have been completed and received (by the deadline):
- Cover Sheet
- Personal Statement (recommend minimum of 4 double spaced pages). Address all components to the following questions -
- Please explain your desire to enter the social work field. Why do you want to become a social worker?
- What personal qualities equip you for the social work profession? Discuss your experiences and feelings about working with populations different from your own.
- What personal challenges might you face as a future social worker? How will you address those challenges?
- What significant relationships and life experiences (personal and/or professional) have you had in giving or receiving help that have motivated you to enter the field of social work?
- What social problem most concerns you? What have you done in the past to support this interest and/or how do you plan to use your social work education to address this issue?
- Attach copy of Semester By Semester Plan completed with your Professional Advisor.
Where to Submit?
Applicants must meet admission requirements AND required materials must be submitted to the Department of Social Work, Chilton Hall, Suite #300
Applications will not be considered if they are late or if any materials are missing.
Please note the deadline for Fall 2019 Admission is: March 1, 2019 by 5:00 PM
Students may also submit their application electronically in pdf format by the deadline with all required attachments. These can be submitted to Dr. Thomas.
Applicants will be formally notified regarding decisions of their applications to the UNT Social Work program via students’ official UNT email account or for transfer students the student’s mailing address.