OIctober 12, 2017, 5:00pm
Approximately 4 weeks later
In order to be considered for admission, students must meet the following requirements:
Have successfully completed or are currently taking the following Social Work prerequisite courses at UNT, or the equivalents at another university or community college:
Have an overall GPA of 2.25 or higher
Complete the steps in the admissions process as follows:
- Request a Degree Audit from the Advising Office located in the College of Health & Public Services (Chilton Hall, Suite # 289) by completing the appropriate form. It will take 2 business days to process the Degree Audit.
- Return to the Advising office to pick up the Degree Audit in 2 days. Students will also be provided with an initial Semester by Semester Plan. This plan will indicate how many core courses, minor, or elective courses you have left to take.
- Students will report immediately to the Department of Social Work office (Chilton Hall, Suite # 263) or call (940-565-3437 or 940-369-7526) where they will be randomly assigned a Social Work Faculty Advisor. Students will be given the advisor’s contact information (name, email & phone number). They will need to contact the assigned Faculty Advisor as soon as possible to set up an appointment for consultation regarding social work program requirements.
- For the scheduled appointment with the Faculty Advisor, the student must bring both the Degree Audit and the initial Semester-by-Semester Plan. The Faculty Advisor will develop an individualized schedule to reflect how the student may be able to proceed through the social work program. The Faculty Advisor will also consult with the student regarding program expectations, requirements, and the profession.
- Upon completion of the session, the Faculty Advisor will provide the student with the completed Semester-by-Semester Plan. The Semester-by-Semester Plan will indicate if it is the appropriate time for the student to proceed with the application.
Application to Social Program
Click this link for the application: Application for Admission to UNT's Bachelor of Social Work Program
Please note that an application will not be reviewed until all of the following materials have been completed and received:
- Cover Sheet
- Personal Statement (recommend minimum of 4 double spaced pages). Address all components to the following questions -
- Please explain your desire to enter the social work field. Why do you want to become a social worker?
- What personal qualities equip you for the social work profession? Discuss your experiences and feelings about working with populations different from your own.
- What personal challenges might you face as a future social worker? How will you address those challenges?
- What significant relationships and life experiences (personal and/or professional) have you had in giving or receiving help that have motivated you to enter the field of social work?
- What social problem most concerns you? What have you done in the past to support this interest and/or how do you plan to use your social work education to address this issue?
- Attach copy of Semester By Semester Plan
Where to Submit?
Applicants must meet admission requirements AND submit all required materials to the Department of Social Work, Chilton Hall, Suite #263 (located by computer lab on 2nd floor)
Applications will not be considered if they are late or if any materials are missing.
Deadline: October 12 by 5:00 PM
Students may also submit their application electronically in pdf format by the deadline with all required attachments. These can be submitted to Dr. Thomas.
Applicants who are admitted to the UNT Social Work degree program are formally notified via the students’ official UNT email account or for transfer students the student’s mailing address. Please note that the UNT Social Work program may receive more qualified applicants than it can accept.